Apparently taste buds are a bit like DNA; everyone’s are different, and Mr. Picky’s are extremely unique. In an effort to be a good wife, I have been experimenting with cloning his favorite, no-longer-available sherbet. With the use of an automatic ice cream machine, this version of Lemon Cookie Sherbet is not only quick and easy, but is actually refreshing and delicious. The tartness of the sherbet combined with the bland lemon cookies make a good combination, and one that all of the Official Hancock Tasters like, including Mr. Picky, who says it is almost exactly like the lemon cookie sherbet he and Wiley remember.
1 3 oz. package lemon gelatin
1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups skim milk (use whole milk for richer sherbet)
3/4 cup frozen lemonade concentrate (1/2 of a 12 ounce can)
1 to 2 cups lemon sandwich cookies, coarsely crushed (10-15 cookies)
- Stir the gelatin and boiling water until the gelatin and sugar are completely dissolved.
- Transfer to a blender container and add the milk and lemonade concentrate; blend until mixed well.
- Place in a container with a tight lid and refrigerate until well-chilled. (You can speed this up by placing in the freezer for a while, but don't let the mixture freeze).
- Pour the mixture into the bowl of a 1-quart automatic ice cream freezer; let the machine run until the mixture is almost thickened.
- Add the sandwich cookies and let run until firm.
- Transfer to a container with a tight lid and place in the freezer until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 160 Calories from Fat 19
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 12% Protein 10% Carb. 78%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 6 mg
Sodium 83 mg
Total Carbohydrate 31 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 7% Calcium 0% Iron 3%