The star anise in this recipe is optional, but does add depth to the flavor of these wings. With flavors similar to cinnamon and licorice, this spice is often used in Chinese cooking and can be found in the spice section of most large grocery stores. If you have trouble finding it, or donít care for the flavor, you can simply leave this out and these wings will still be delicious.
If you try this recipe, I would love to know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Please stop by and leave your input, Enjoy!
1.5 lbs. chicken wings
1 tbsp soy sauce
ľ inch piece ginger
2 green onions
1 tbsp peanut oil
1 can coca cola
1 star anise (optional)
- Rinse the wings under cold running water and then dry them thoroughly. Then break each wing into 2 pieces by cutting it at the joint.
- Next, cut off the wing tips and either discard them or save them for another recipe.
- Then place the cut wings in a large bowl and add the soy sauce. Stir to thoroughly coat the wings and then let them marinate while preparing the other ingredients, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Peel the ginger and then dice it and set it aside.
- Rinse the green onions under cold running water and dry them thoroughly. Chop off the bottoms and any wilted parts of the top. Then dice the remaining stalks (both the white and green parts) and set them with the diced ginger.
- Next, heat a wok on high. When the wok it heated, add the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the ginger and green onion and stir fry them for 30 seconds, or just until fragrant.
- Then add the marinated chicken wings, shaking off any excess soy sauce and fry them for 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Then carefully add the can of coke and the star anise and gently stir.
- Let this simmer, stirring gently until the all of the liquid reduces, turns sticky and coats the wings. This takes about 20 minutes, then serve them immediately, enjoy.