One of the best things to remember when preparing kabobs for the grill, is to thread the food onto two skewers that are between 1/4” and 1/2” apart; that way the food doesn’t roll around on the skewers and it doesn’t seem to fall off as easily. Before grilling, put some jasmine rice in the rice cooker, or get it started on the stovetop, so that everything will be ready right when the kabobs come off the grill. The sauce is quick and can be made while the kabobs are grilling; for those who prefer a little less fire, the spiciness of the sauce can be controlled by reducing the amount of red curry paste, and the kabobs can be made a little milder by substituting red or green bell peppers for the jalapeno peppers on the skewers. The Official Hancock Tasters like them medium-hot, exactly as in the recipe (although Mr. Picky turned his nose up at these and went to Subway for a plain ham sandwich – the joke’s on him though, these are yummy!).
2 pounds pork loin, cut into 1" chunks
1 small onion, cut into 1" squares
8 fresh jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into 1" pieces
8 apricots, halved and seeded
1 pound sweet potatoes, cooked and sliced into 1" wide slices
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 to 2 teaspoons Thai spice mix, such as Penzey's Bangkok Blend or your favorite spicy spice mix
1 to 3 teaspoons red curry paste
1 14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
1 tablespoon finely chopped lemongrass
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Thread the skewers: 2 pork chunks, onion and pepper squares, apricot half, onion and pepper squares, sweet potato slice, onion and pepper squares, apricot slice, etc. until all ingredients are used up.
- Brush with a little vegetable oil and sprinkle with the Thai spice mix.
- For Dipping sauce: Whisk all ingredients together in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes; keep warm.
- Preheat a gas grill to high; turn down the heat and grill the skewers on all sides, just until the pork is cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
- Serve with the dipping sauce and hot cooked jasmine rice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 433 Calories from Fat 211
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 49% Protein 27% Carb. 24%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 71 mg
Sodium 492 mg
Total Carbohydrate 27 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 29 g
Vitamin A 345% Vitamin C 213% Calcium 0% Iron 21%