Chocolate Zucchini Earthquake Cake can be made a day or two ahead and will stay moist. It needs no frosting or other embellishment, and since the topping isnít sticky, itís a good choice for a picnic or potluck. Plan to receive several requests for the recipe, and also plan on no leftovers.
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup chopped white chocolate
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 pound zucchini, finely grated (about 2 cups packed)
1 8 oz. package cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350į.
- Spray a 9 x 13" baking pan with non-stick spray and line with parchment.
- Sprinkle the coconut, pecans, and white chocolate evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Cake: Cream the sugar, butter, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Measure the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a fine strainer over the creamed mixture.
- Shake the ingredients through into the sugar mixture.
- Grate the rind from the orange into the mixture.
- Cut the orange in half and squeeze 1/4 cup of the juice into a measuring cup; add the buttermilk to the orange juice.
- Turn the mixer on low speed and mix, adding the orange/buttermilk mixture gradually.
- Stir in the zucchini and mix well.
- Pour the batter evenly over the white chocolate/coconut/pecan mixture.
- Topping: Mix topping ingredients until smooth; drop onto the top of the cake batter and spread a little to even it out; do not stir.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool thoroughly before cutting.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 420 Calories from Fat 193
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 4% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 21 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 49 mg
Sodium 222 mg
Total Carbohydrate 53 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 15 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 6% Calcium 0% Iron 4%