Orange Chicken with Zucchini & Walnuts cooks in the slow cooker on low in 4-6 hours. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or thighs if you prefer) are placed in the slow cooker, an easy sauce is whisked together and poured over, and the appliance cooks the meal with no monitoring whatsoever. Rice can be cooked in about 20 minutes, so it can be started just before setting the table and calling everyone to dinner.
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 8 pieces (boneless, skinless thighs can be substituted)
1 1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons granular chicken bouillon
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup stir-fry sauce, such as Yoshida's
3/4 cup orange marmalade
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1/2 pound zucchini, sliced
1/2 cup toasted walnuts, (toast in a 350° oven about 10 minutes)
- Place the chicken pieces in the bottom of a 4-5 quart slow cooker.
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients and pour over the chicken.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the green onions over the sauce.
- Cover the slow cooker, turn to low, and cook 4-6 hours or until the chicken is tender.
- Stir in the zucchini and let cook, covered, an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the zucchini is just crisp-tender.
- Sprinkle with the walnuts and remaining green onions.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 346 Calories from Fat 106
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 31% Protein 34% Carb. 35%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 76 mg
Sodium 338 mg
Total Carbohydrate 30 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 30 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 8% Calcium 0% Iron 8%