Most southern families have a corn pudding (don’t get this confused with a dessert pudding – corn pudding is a savory side dish) recipe that they love – some are heavy and dense, and others are light and airy; some use canned corn, some use creamed corn, and some use frozen corn. There are hundreds of variations, and it’s a given that most think their version is the best. Once tasted, however, this Fresh Corn & Garden Vegetable Pudding will become the favorite (although it’s really not traditional due to the addition of other vegetables), and some may even find excuses to serve this version instead of their traditional family one.
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 to 3 cups fresh corn, cut from the cob
1/2 cup cold butter
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cups small zucchinis, finely diced
1/2 cup fresh jalapeno peppers, finely diced
1/2 cup red bell peppers, finely diced
6 eggs, separated
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter a 9 x 13" shallow casserole dish or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a saucepan, bring the milk and cream to a boil; add the fresh corn kernels and let simmer until just tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cold butter.
- Meanwhile, melt the 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet; add the onion and let cook until softened.
- Stir in the zucchini and peppers and let sauté 1-2 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk the cornmeal, salt, pepper, cheddar cheese, and egg yolks into the corn mixture, stir in the zucchini mixture, and fold in the egg whites.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 10 minutes before cutting into 12 squares.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 292 Calories from Fat 191
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 65% Protein 14% Carb. 21%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 21 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 164 mg
Sodium 432 mg
Total Carbohydrate 15 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 10 g
Vitamin A 38% Vitamin C 46% Calcium 0% Iron 5%