If you’re a proponent of serving green dishes on St. Patrick’s Day, you’ll also want to serve this cake on March 17th; don’t surround it with creatures, of course; instead sprinkle it with shamrock cake decorations and garnish with live shamrocks or leprechauns.
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 ounces green food coloring, (1/4 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups finely grated zucchini, (with skin)
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray three 9" round cake pans with non-stick spray; place a piece of parchment in each pan and spray again. Alternately place liners in 24 cupcake cups, grease and flour a standard bundt pan, or spray a 9 x 13" dripper pan with non-stick spray and line with parchment.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar; add the eggs, food coloring, and vanilla.
- Stir in the zucchini.
- Measure the flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa into a fine strainer; shake it over the butter mixture; pour in the buttermilk and vinegar and mix until smooth.
- Pour into the prepared pan(s) and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake leaves the sides of the pan: 9" round layers - about 30 minutes, 24 cupcakes - 15-20 minutes, Bundt pan - 55-60 minutes, 9 x 13" dripper pan - 45-55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 10 minutes, then invert to a cooling rack and cool thoroughly.
- Frosting: Beat the ingredients until light and fluffy.
- Assembly: Place a layer onto a serving platter; cover with a thin layer of frosting; top with another layer and cover with a thin layer of frosting.
- Top with the remaining layer and use the remaining frosting to cover the sides and top.
- Sprinkle the green sprinkles over the top.
- Surround with scary rodents spiders, etc.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 454 Calories from Fat 158
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 35% Protein 5% Carb. 61%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 18 g 27%
Saturated Fat 11 g 53%
Cholesterol 74 mg 25%
Sodium 386 mg 16%
Total Carbohydrate 69 g 23%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 1%
Sugars 19 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 4%