Jack Torrance has found the idyllic job. He’ll be the caretaker of the Overlook Hotel during the winter season. Jack moves his wife, Wendy, and their son Danny to the isolated hotel where the struggling writer, who’s trying to work on his novel, slowly descends into madness. Here are a few movie mistakes to look for while watching “The Shining”.
· Danny is eating a sandwich while Wendy is talking to him about going to live at the hotel. There are only a few bites out of the top of the sandwich when Danny says that Tony doesn’t want to go. But when Wendy asks why he doesn’t want to go, it shows Danny and most of the sandwich is gone.
· Mr. Hallorann is showing Wendy and Danny the meat freezer. He reaches with his left hand and grabs the door handle which is on the right side of the door. But in the view from inside the freezer looking out, it’s his right hand that opens the door and the handle is also on the left side. A few moments later, when the three of them leave the meat freezer, the area around the door is different. There are no tables around it!
· Mr. Hallorann and Danny are at the table and Danny is eating ice cream. When they’re talking about “the shining”, Danny’s hands alternate throughout the scene. Sometimes they’re in front of the bowl and sometimes they’re behind it.
· Jack is typing when Wendy comes to tell him about the impending snow storm. He rips the paper out of the typewriter and a few moments later he tears it to shreds. Jack then yells at her about disturbing him. After she walks away, there is a front view of Jack and there is paper in the typewriter again!
· The second time Jack goes into the lounge, there is a party. Lloyd, the bartender, pours Jack a glass of bourbon. The amount of liquor in the glass changes before Jack touches it. When he offers Lloyd money, the glass appears to be a quarter full. When Lloyd mentions “orders of the house”, there’s more liquor in the glass. It’s back to the quarter amount when Jack tells Lloyd he’s “the kind of man who likes to know who’s buying their drinks”. A few moments later, before he grabs the glass, it has more bourbon in it.
· Jack and Grady go into the restroom and Grady sets down the tray with the glasses he was carrying. He sets down the tray between the second and third sinks in the restroom. But when Grady is talking to Jack and he walks over to the sink, the tray isn’t between the sinks. Jack throws the towel down and the tray is back between sinks two and three. When Grady tells Jack that he’s “always been the caretaker”, the tray is between the third and fourth sinks.
· Danny starts screaming “Red Rum” and Wendy runs to check on him. In the close-up of Danny, Wendy’s left hand is on his right shoulder. But in the side view, her hand isn’t there. It alternates back and forth between the close-up and side views.
· Wendy is dragging Jack into the food storage locker. From the view of Jack looking into the locker, his hands have already passed the doorway. But when it cuts to an overhead view of Jack, his hands haven’t passed the door frame yet.
· Wendy and Danny lock themselves into the bathroom when Jack starts to break in. The lampshade on the table near the door is uneven. But when Jack is outside the door a few moments later, the lampshade is straight.
· Jack is breaking into the bathroom and cuts through the panel on the top right side of the door. Wendy cuts him and the scene switches to a view outside of the hotel. The scene cuts back to Wendy and Jack and now the two upper panels of the door are cut open.
“The Shining” (1980) stars Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, Danny Lloyd and Scatman Crothers. It runs 146 minutes and is rated R for frightening/intense scene, alcohol/drugs use, smoking, violence and gore, profanity and nudity.
Get your copy of "The Shining" here: