- Cut 4 Circles of stiff thin cardboard or plastic for templates, cut 2 ½ diameter.
- Cut 4 circles of fabric cut at least 3 in diameter.
- Cut 2 circles of batting 2 ½ .
- Cut Two 14 x 7 pieces of fabric for the body of the roll. (1 piece for the top, 1 for the lining).
Top piece can be a patchworked or appliquιd rectangle or simply a piece of printed fabric.
- 14 x 7 thin batting for body of roll
- Thread to match fabric
- Hand sewing needle
- 24 x Ό satin ribbon for the tie, to match fabric
- 55 x 2 ½ fabric for binding (join fabric, iron in half wrong sides together).
- Sandwich the three layers for the roll (lining, top and batting). Lay lining wrong side up, then batting, then top fabric right side up.
- Pin together to stop movement whilst quilting.
- Quilt as required. You can do a simple diamond quilt pattern or stipple. Trim off edges when finished.
- Bind the 14 x 7 quilted rectangle.
- Sew a running stitch just inside the edge of each of the 4 circles of fabric.
- Place a small circle of batting on wrong side of 2 of the circles of fabric.
- Place card templates on wrong side of all 4 circles of fabric and pull gathering thread firmly to gather up around the templates. Secure the thread.
- Hand sew the circles together, using an overcast stitch in pairs 1 padded circle is sewn to 1 unpadded circle in each pair.
Hand stitch each pair of ends to one long side of the finished rectangle for a distance of approximately 7 around the circumference of the end pieces. Finish off securely. Make sure the padded circles are facing outside the roll and the unpadded circles are facing inside.
Hand stitch ribbon tie in place.