4 scallop shells (cooking shells can be found in several specialty kitchen and baking shops)
3 cups Chinese chicken broth (regular chicken broth or water can be substituted)
3 green onions
¼ inch piece fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp fermented black beans
½ tbsp hot chili garlic sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sherry
1 tbsp soy sauce
¼ cup chicken broth
1 tbsp peanut oil
- Prepare the seasonings for the sauce by first washing the green onions and then dicing both the green and white parts.
- Then peel the ginger and mince it.
- Peel the garlic cloves and mince them as well.
- Then in a large cup mix together the sugar, sherry, soy sauce and chicken broth and set this mixture aside.
- Next, cook the sauce by heating a wok on high. Once it is hot add the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the green onion and ginger and stir fry them for 20 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Then add the garlic and black beans and stir fry for another 20 seconds.
- Then add the sauce mixture and bring it to a boil. Once it boils, turn the heat off and set it aside, while preparing the scallops.
- Heat the water for your steamer on high.
- Then prepare the steamer basket by place a plate that fits comfortably inside it. Then place the empty shells on top of the plate. Keep this steamer basket off of the heat until the water boils and the scallops are added. The scallops, once poached will go on top of each shell and then the sauce will be spooned on top of the scallops.
- Bring the 3 cups of the Chinese chicken broth to a boil.
- Once it boils lightly poach the scallops by letting them cook for 1 minute. Then remove them, draining them thoroughly and carefully place each one on top of one of the shells inside the steamer basket. Save the broth for another recipe.
- Next spoon the sauce on top of the scallops. Then place the basket on the steamer with the boiling water and steam them for 1 minute, or just until the scallop meat turns white. Be careful not to overcook the scallops – remove them as soon as the meat turns white. Then they are ready to serve – enjoy.