Chocolate Salted Caramel Squares are perfect to serve on a Christmas or holiday buffet, and they are yummy and fancy enough to put on treat trays or to package in fancy bags to give as gifts. They can be made a month or so ahead and stored in a cool place in an airtight container.
1 cup pretzels, coarsely broken
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 cup whipping cream
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- Spray a 1/4 sheet jellyroll pan or 9 x 13" baking dish with non-stick spray and line with parchment; spray the parchment.
- Mix the pretzels and pecans; spread evenly over the parchment.
- Caramel: In heavy saucepan, mix sugar, corn syrup, and 1/2 cup of the whipping cream.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- When the mixture boils, slowly add the remaining whipping cream, stirring constantly, and making sure the mixture doesn't stop boiling.
- Add butter and wash down the sides with a pastry brush dipped in water.
- Continue cooking over medium heat until the mixture reaches the softball stage (240°).
- Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla, and pour evenly over the pretzel/pecan mixture.
- Use a spatula to move the caramel so that it surrounds the pretzels and pecans.
- Let sit until cool.
- Melt 1 cup of the chocolate chips in the microwave; stir until smooth and spread over the caramel.
- Sprinkle with the coarse sea salt.
- Place in the refrigerator until set.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan and remove the candy.
- Set the candy upside down on a jellyroll pan lined with parchment.
- Melt the remaining chocolate chips and spread over the bottom of the squares.
- When set, invert and cut into 48 squares.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 130 Calories from Fat 64
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 49% Protein 1% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 9 mg
Sodium 109 mg
Total Carbohydrate 16 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%