The following recipe has been adapted from one found in a catalogue from a spice company, and my first thought was, “Why would someone put something so plain in a catalogue destined to be seen by millions? How boring!” After sampling several, I now understand, and will make sure these are included in my Christmas baking from now on. The cookies are quick and easy, especially when there is a teaspoon sized cookie scoop, so if there are plans to make lots of drop cookies, it’s a good idea to invest in one. They are available everywhere; I’ve found that the metal ones are much better than the plastic ones, and they last significantly longer.
By the way, Santa told me that this year these Old Fashioned Christmas Jumbles are what he wants on his cookie plate.
4-5 dozen Cookies
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup red and green glacé cherries, chopped
3/4 cup chopped pitted dates
3/4 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter, brown sugar and egg until fluffy.
- Add the buttermilk and vanilla.
- Measure 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, and salt into a fine strainer set over the butter mixture.
- Shake through and mix well.
- Mix the cherries, dates, and pecans with the remaining 1/4 cup flour; fold into the dough.
- Scoop teaspoonfuls of dough onto parchment-lined or greased baking sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to cooling racks.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze for storage longer than about a week.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 79 Calories from Fat 29
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 37% Protein 4% Carb. 58%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 56 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%