To crush the cornflakes easily: if using a mixer with a K attachment, just put the cornflakes in the mixing bowl and turn the mixer to low speed; the attachment will crush the cornflakes perfectly. Otherwise, place them in a zip-type bag and crush with your hands. They work best if coarsely crushed, not finely crushed.
3 cups cornflakes, coarsely crushed
1/3 cup red glace cherries
1/3 cup green glace cherries
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup currants
1/2 cup pistachio nuts
1/4 cup flour
1 12 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate, chopped, or use highest quality chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Spray a 9 x 13" baking dish with non-stick spray; line with parchment and spray the parchment.
- Mix the cornflakes, cherries, raisins, currants, pistachio nuts, and flour; add the sweetened condensed milk and stir until well-mixed.
- Pat the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the bars cool thoroughly.
- Place the chocolate and vegetable oil in a microwave-safe container.
- Microwave 1 minute; stir until melted and smooth. If necessary, microwave an additional 10-30 seconds – in 10 second increments - if the chocolate is not melted.
- Transfer the melted chocolate to a decorating bag with a plain tip and drizzle chocolate over the cooled bars, or place in a zip-type bag with a small hole cut from the corner and squeeze the chocolate through.
- Let the chocolate set before cutting into 32 bars.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 101 Calories from Fat 27
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 27% Protein 7% Carb. 66%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 4 mg
Sodium 51 mg
Total Carbohydrate 17 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 0% Iron 3%