You can never have enough side dishes at fancy holiday dinners, especially when there are lots of people and the dinner is served buffet-style. You’ll most likely have dozens of requests for this recipe for That Puffy Green Vegetable Thing, and your guests will make it to take to their various parties where a side dish or vegetable is assigned. There will be no leftovers, no matter how many side dishes are served.
8 Generous Servings
2 pounds zucchini, sliced
2 tablespoons dehydrated onion flakes
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups provolone cheese, shredded, or substitute mozzarella or cheddar
6 ounces bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Spray a 2 quart baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Cook the zucchini until tender in boiling salted water; drain well and transfer to the bowl of a mixer.
- Turn the mixer on low and add the onion flakes and butter; when the butter is melted, add the cream, eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Stir in 1 cup of the cheese.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and the bacon.
- Bake 30-45 minutes or until puffed, brown, and set in the middle.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 304 Calories from Fat 219
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 72% Protein 21% Carb. 7%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 24 g
Saturated Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 141 mg
Sodium 603 mg
Total Carbohydrate 6 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 16 g
Vitamin A 23% Vitamin C 23% Calcium 0% Iron 6%