Creamy Christmas Chowder looks festive because of the red and green peppers, and it tastes so good, there will be no leftovers. Red potatoes, which donít need to be peeled, are diced and cooked with dehydrated vegetables that need no chopping. Of course, fresh vegetables can be used, but they donít make a difference in the taste of the soup, so why take the time when it can be used for more important tasks? Accompany this soup with a nice salad and crusty bread.
2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed (not peeled) and cut into 1/2" chunks
1/4 cup dehydrated onion flakes, or 1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup dehydrated red and green peppers, or 2 cups each red and green bell pepper
2 teaspoons salt
6 cups water
1/2 pound lean ham, diced
1 cup Basic Cream Soup Mix , whisked together with 2 cups cold water
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 cup heavy cream
- Place the potatoes, onions, peppers, salt, and water in a large saucepan.
- Cover and bring to a boil; turn down to a simmer and let cook until the potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Add the ham and cream soup mixture.
- Stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Stir in the black pepper, pepper flakes, and parsley.
- Taste for seasoning, bring to a boil, add the cream, and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 447 Calories from Fat 135
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 30% Protein 15% Carb. 55%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 52 mg
Sodium 891 mg
Total Carbohydrate 61 g
Dietary Fiber 9 g
Sugars 7 g
Protein 17 g
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 33% Calcium 0% Iron 8%