To roast garlic in the oven: simply cut off the pointy end of the heads of garlic, place them in a small baking dish, drizzle the cut ends with olive oil, cover tightly with foil, and bake in a 350° oven for about 45 minutes or until softened. To microwave: Cut the pointed end off of the head of garlic, exposing the cloves, drizzle the cloves with olive oil, place on a microwaveable dish and cover tightly with plastic wrap, and microwave on high power for 3-5 minutes, or until the cloves are soft. After baking or microwaving, let cool, then squeeze the cloves out of their skins. You can mash them with a fork or process in a food processor.
2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-2" chunks
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons roasted garlic from the Roasted Garlic Module
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup hot milk
- Place the cut potatoes in the crock of a 2-3 quart slow cooker.
- Pour the chicken broth over all.
- Sprinkle with the dried parsley.
- Add the roasted garlic, butter, and salt.
- Cover, turn to the low setting, and let cook 4-6 hours.
- When the potatoes are tender, add the hot milk and smash them, incorporating the garlic, but leaving a few potato chunks. Add additional milk if necessary.
- Can be kept warm for an hour or two before serving.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 173 Calories from Fat 45
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 26% Protein 8% Carb. 66%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 14 mg
Sodium 299 mg
Total Carbohydrate 28 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 29% Calcium 0% Iron 10%