If you have a rice cooker, the rice can also cook unmonitored, so there will be extra time to set a nice table and get other things ready for guests. This recipe is a take on a popular sauce that is often served over meatballs at cocktail parties; the flavor is divine and will be appreciated by all those lucky recipients of your hospitality. Holiday Slow Cooker Chicken is perfect for a buffet, and can be doubled or tripled easily. Accompany it with fresh rolls and a pretty green vegetable or tossed salad.
2 medium cooking apples, pared, cored, and sliced
1 medium red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1 to 3 fresh jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded, and sliced (optional)
2 to 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cleaned and cut into 8 serving-size pieces
1 12 oz. jar chili sauce
1 14 oz. can jellied cranberry sauce
Hot cooked rice
- Layer the apple slices on the bottom of a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Top with the onion and jalapeno slices, if using.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on top and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Mix the chili and cranberry sauces; pour over all.
- Cover the crock, set to low, and let cook 3-5 hours or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is just cooked through.
- Stir and serve over the rice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 309 Calories from Fat 69
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 22% Protein 36% Carb. 41%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 76 mg
Sodium 91 mg
Total Carbohydrate 32 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 28 g
Vitamin A 96% Vitamin C 54% Calcium 0% Iron 8%