- Columns - This is for columns of original content, published on a regular basis, in any medium, published in 2013. Each entry must consist of 2,000 words or less. These are entries from the author’s regular column-not features. Note that these may be print or online columns.
- Articles - These one-time articles (not part of the author’s column) must have been published in 2013 in a journal, magazine, newsletter, blog or website. Entries cannot exceed 5,000 words. Note that these may be print or online articles. Footnotes are not included in the word count.
- Genealogy Newsletter -This category is for society or family association newsletters published in 2013. Entries should consist of two issues, each submitted as a single file in PDF format. The judging will be based on originality, content, visual appeal, writing and editing quality, and accuracy. The award is to the editor of the publication. These may also be print or online newsletters.
- Unpublished Authors - Entrants in this category aspire to be published writers or columnists in the field of genealogy, family or local history. The submissions in this category are original and unpublished, between 500 and 2,000 words. Since these are UNPUBLISHED, blogs are not eligible for this category.
- Unpublished material -Published Authors. This category is for original unpublished genealogically related articles by previously published authors. Entries should be between 500 and 3,000 words. Since these are UNPUBLISHED, blogs are not eligible for this category.
- Poetry - This category is for original content (published in 2013 or unpublished), that is related to family history. Entries should be no longer than 1,000 words and have a Title. Poetry is a new addition this year, and it will be exciting to see what is submitted in that category!
Entries will be accepted through June 15, 2014, and only three entries per categories are accepted. This contest is open to members and non-members. There is an early bird special if you register before March 15, 2014 - $15 Members & $18 Non-Members. After March 15, regular fees are $18 Members & $21 Non-Members. Entries must be received no later than June 15, 2014.
As you write about your family history, you might consider joining ISFHWE. If you have any questions regarding the ISFHWE “Excellence in Writing” competition, you can email them at Competition@ISFHWE.org.
Discloser: I am the coordinator for the ISFHWE "Excellence in Writing" competition.