Elegant Brandied Fruit Compote is made in the slow cooker, eliminating the need to spend time stirring a pot on the stove. If time is short, this fruit compote can be made ahead and reheated. It’s especially good served warm over a scoop of ice cream.
4 cups fresh cranberries
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
2 Gala apples, or other cooking apples, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
2 pears, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup dried pineapples, or a mixture of pineapple, papaya, and mango
1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped
1 medium orange
1/2 cup Grand Marnier
3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Measure the cranberries, apple and pear chunks, dried cherries, golden raisins, pineapple, and ginger into the crock of a 3-4 quart slow cooker; stir.
- Zest the peel from the orange and sprinkle it over the mixture.
- Squeeze the juice from the orange into a measuring cup with the Grand Marnier; stir in the cornstarch until smooth.
- Stir the mixture into the fruit.
- Cover the slow cooker, set to low, and let cook 4-6 hours or until the fruit is soft and the mixture is thick.
- Serve warm.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 186 Calories from Fat 5
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 3% Protein 2% Carb. 95%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 1 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 5 mg
Total Carbohydrate 44 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 42% Calcium 0% Iron 9%