Even though the story about Washington cutting down the cherry tree is thought to be just an urban legend, the fact is President Washington did love cherries, as well as other fruit, so the tradition of serving cherries on President’s Day is somewhat based on factual evidence. Also according to the timeline, President Lincoln loved apples, as well as bacon; food wasn't a priority for him, however, so it's nice to know that there were a few foods that pleased him.
The following Presidential Bacon-Wrapped Fruited Chicken would probably have been a favorite of both presidents, since it contains some of their favorite foods. Although it’s quite fancy and definitely suitable for company, it’s an easy dish to make, and it may also become a favorite of your family and friends. It would be great served with rice, a pretty green salad, and crusty bread.
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves, (8 small breasts or larger breasts cut into 8 serving pieces)
8 slices bacon
4 cups cooking apples, pared and sliced (3-4 medium)
1 medium onion, peeled, quartered, and sliced
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup dried cherries
2 teaspoons granular chicken bouillon
1 cup whipping cream
- Wrap each chicken breast piece with a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Brown in a large skillet until the bacon is crisp on all sides.
- Remove the breasts to a plate and add the apples and onions to the bacon fat in the pan.
- Sauté, stirring every few minutes, until the apples are beginning to soften.
- Mix the white wine, cherries, and chicken bouillon; pour over the apples and onions.
- Turn the heat to high, and let cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Sprinkle with a little freshly ground pepper and turn the heat to low.
- Add the chicken breasts and whipping cream.
- Cover the pan, heat through (chicken breasts should register 130° - 140° on an instant-read thermometer), and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 399 Calories from Fat 201
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 50% Protein 31% Carb. 14%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 22 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 124 mg
Sodium 268 mg
Total Carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 31 g
Vitamin A 11% Vitamin C 10% Calcium 0% Iron 8%