Although a mixer makes quick work of blending the ingredients and mashing the bananas, you can mix it by hand in a big bowl; just mash the bananas first. While there are recipes that call for only cake mix, bananas, and eggs for banana bread, this one, with sour cream and walnuts, is moister and tastier. For those who prefer plainer banana bread, simply substitute a yellow or white cake mix for the spice cake mix.
1 18.25 ounce Spice Cake Mix, or substitute yellow cake mix or white cake mix
3 or 4 ripe bananas
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 2 8x4x2 inch loaf pans with non-stick spray.
- Mix the cake mix, eggs, bananas, sour cream, and walnuts until smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two prepared pans.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, let sit 5 minutes, run a knife around the edge of each loaf, and invert onto cooling racks.
- Cool thoroughly before slicing.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 144 Calories from Fat 46
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 32% Protein 6% Carb. 62%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g 8%
Saturated Fat 1 g 7%
Cholesterol 20 mg 7%
Sodium 158 mg 7%
Total Carbohydrate 22 g 7%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 1%
Sugars 10 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 1%