Classic Country Captain, which is popular all over the South, is not a spicy-hot curry dish; rather it’s quite mild by design. For a hotter curry, add a few sliced jalapenos or birds-eye peppers. Although there are conflicting reports, most historians agree that the dish originated in Charleston, S.C. around the 1900’s as a new way to use the exotic spices that were being brought in by ship from the orient.
Slow Cooker Country Captain is quick, since it uses dehydrated onions and peppers, pre-chopped, jarred garlic and ginger, canned tomato puree, and boneless-skinless chicken breasts. By preparing it in the slow cooker, the flavors permeate the chicken, and it stays moist. Of course those cooks with more free time can chop fresh onions, peppers, garlic, and ginger, but there will be little or no difference in the taste of the dish. The dish can be made ahead and refrigerated for a couple of days; in fact, the flavors become more pronounced and the dish is even better.
4 slices thick bacon, diced
2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 8 serving size pieces (or substitute boneless skinless thighs)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup dehydrated onion flakes
1/4 cup dehydrated red and green peppers
2 cloves garlic, (from a jar is fastest), finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, (from a jar is quickest) finely minced
2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 cup currants, or golden raisins
2 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon granular chicken bouillon
1 1/2 cups water
Cooked white rice
1 cup slivered almonds
Chopped fresh parsley
- Fry the bacon until crisp in a large skillet; remove the bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Brown the chicken pieces in the bacon fat; sprinkle with salt and pepper, and transfer to the crock of a slow cooker.
- Add the onion flakes, peppers, garlic, ginger, curry powder, currants, tomatoes, bouillon, water, and drained bacon; stir to mix.
- Cover, set the slow cooker to low, and cook 3 to 5 hours.
- To serve, spoon the mixture over rice and sprinkle with the almonds and parsley.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 467 Calories from Fat 176
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 38% Protein 32% Carb. 31%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 80 mg
Sodium 255 mg
Total Carbohydrate 36 g
Dietary Fiber 6 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 37 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 9% Calcium 0% Iron 14%