The lemon in the soup adds to the lightness, and complements the other ingredients. As soon as the daffodils begin to appear in the garden, this is the soup to make.
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
1/2 pound lean ham, diced
1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into 1/4" slices, or substitute fingerling potatoes
3 cups water
2 tablespoons ham bouillon, or substitute chicken
1 pound asparagus, snapped, tough ends discarded, and cut into 1" lengths
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons flour
3 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan or soup pot; add the onions and ham.
- Stir over medium heat until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the potatoes.
- Pour the water into the mixture and add the bouillon.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and let cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan; whisk in the flour and cook for a minute.
- Whisk in the milk and pepper.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until the mixture thickens.
- Zest the lemon into the white sauce; cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the sauce.
- Add the sauce to the soup.
- Stir, let heat through, and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 389 Calories from Fat 184
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 47% Protein 16% Carb. 36%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 69 mg
Sodium 855 mg
Total Carbohydrate 35 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 16 g
Vitamin A 28% Vitamin C 81% Calcium 0% Iron 12%