Perfect to serve at any spring or summer gathering, these bars are refreshing and attractive. They will keep a week or more if covered tightly and refrigerated.
9 to 12 ounces shortbread cookies, finely ground
3 tablespoons melted butter
4 large egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
3 ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice, (about 2 1/2 large lemons)
4 tablespoons butter
1 pinch salt
2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon zest
Cream Cheese Filling:
1 8 oz. package softened cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Spray a 7 x 9" baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix the cookies and melted butter; press into the prepared baking dish.
- Place in the refrigerator while preparing the filling.
- Lemon Curd: Beat the yolks and sugar until well blended.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Microwave on high, stirring every minute, until thickened and the mixture coats a spoon but is still liquid enough to pour. Make sure it doesn't boil.
- Place in the refrigerator or freezer to cool.
- Cream Cheese Filling: Whip the cream cheese, sugar, and whipping until light and fluffy.
- Assembly: Spread the cream cheese filling over the cookie crust.
- Drop spoonfuls of the lemon curd over the cream cheese filling and with a spoon swirl together.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill thoroughly before cutting into 24 squares.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 156 Calories from Fat 87
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 56% Protein 4% Carb. 40%
Nutrient Amount per Serving:
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
Sodium 190 mg
Total Carbohydrate 16 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 8 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 1%