This is one of those recipes thatís absolutely perfect just as is. However, the simple components could easily be varied according to taste and what happens to be in the kitchen. I thought crisp bacon could be added to the stuffing; my husband loves cheese in his white sauce, so that was his suggestion. My granddaughter, Bella, thought a layer of cooked sliced chicken would make it a great main dish casserole for a busy weeknight. Iím sure you could substitute slivered or sliced almonds, pecans, or hazelnuts for the walnuts, if so inclined, or the walnuts could be lightly toasted in the oven before adding them to the stuffing to bring out their flavor. Kathleen sometimes adds cauliflower along with the broccoli. While variations and add-ins can be fun, they can make a dish complicated, so keeping it simple may be the best option, especially for busy cooks.
All of the Official Hancock Tasters loved this dish Kathleenís way, even Mr. Picky, and I plan to be making it over and over in the future for both family and company.
1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets, or a mix of broccoli and cauliflower
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
4 cups milk
3 cups prepared stuffing, (1 6-oz package), Kathleen likes Mrs. Cubbisons
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped and lightly toasted
- Preheat oven to 350į.
- Bring a pan of water to a boil; add 1 teaspoon salt.
- Add the broccoli and blanch 1 minute; drain well and place in a 9 x 13" shallow casserole dish.
- Pour the white sauce over the broccoli.
- Mix the stuffing and walnuts; sprinkle evenly over the broccoli.
- Bake 30-45 minutes or until bubbly.
- White Sauce:
- Stovetop: Melt the butter in a small saucepan; stir in the flour and continue to cook for a minute or two. Whisk in the salt, pepper, and milk; stir over medium heat until the mixture thickens.
- Microwave: Place the butter in a large glass bowl or measuring cup; microwave 1 minute until the butter is melted. Whisk in the flour; microwave 1 1/2 minutes. Whisk in the salt, pepper, and milk. Microwave 3 minutes; stir, and microwave an additional minute or two until thickened.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 357 Calories from Fat 229
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 64% Protein 10% Carb. 26%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 25 g
Saturated Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 44 mg
Sodium 524 mg
Total Carbohydrate 24 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 8 g
Vitamin A 31% Vitamin C 119% Calcium 0% Iron 6%