If you don’t have a good campfire handy, these foil packets can be cooked on a gas grill; heat the grill on high and turn off one side. Pile the packets on the side without the heat, shut the lid, and let cook about 30 minutes. You can even bake these packets in a 350° oven. Make sure you serve the beans and burgers with crispy garlic bread or hamburger buns brushed with garlic butter and grilled or broiled until crisp.
1 15 oz. can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 16 oz. can pork and beans , fat removed and about half of the sauce drained
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
2 to 3 large fresh jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and chopped or 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
4 medium Roma tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup barbecue sauce, your favorite - homemade or store bought
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 1/2 pounds ground beef, formed into 6 patties
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 pieces heavy duty aluminum foil, (about 18" x 12" each)
6 hamburger buns
6 tablespoons soft butter
Garlic bread sprinkle, your favorite brand
- Mix all of the bean ingredients together; you'll have approximately 6 cups.
- Sprinkle the patties with salt and pepper.
- Place about 1 cup of the bean mixture in the center of each piece of foil.
- Top with a hamburger patty. Bring the sides together and fold down; bring up the other sides and seal.
- Place the packets seam side up near the coals (but not directly on them) in the campfire.
- Let cook 20-30 minutes.
- Just before serving, spread the hamburger buns with a tablespoon of butter each; sprinkle with the garlic bread sprinkle.
- Grill or hold over the file until crisp and serve with the beans and burgers.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 687 Calories from Fat 281
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 41% Protein 23% Carb. 36%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 31 g
Saturated Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 134 mg
Sodium 1192 mg
Total Carbohydrate 62 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 40 g
Vitamin A 61% Vitamin C 111% Calcium 0% Iron 40%