2 tsp salt
2 crowns of broccoli
½ large sweet white onion
¾ inch piece of fresh ginger
1 clove garlic
3 tbsp peanut oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
- Remove as much fat as possible from the chicken breasts and then cut them into ½ inch to ¾ of an inch pieces. Then sprinkle these pieces with just 1 teaspoon of the salt and mix it into the chicken using your hands. Let this marinate at room temperature while preparing the other ingredients.
- Rinse the broccoli crowns under cold running water and then break the florets into pieces and save the stalk for a future recipe. Make sure to break up any large florets into smaller pieces about an inch and a half or so in size.
- Next par boil the broccoli pieces either by bringing a pot of water to a boil and boiling them for 2 minutes; or by placing them in a microwave safe bowl, covering them with water, and microwaving them on high for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until a fork can poke through the thicker pieces.
- Once the broccoli is par boiled, drain it in a colander and set it aside.
- Next peel and cut the onion into strips about ½ inch in width.
- Then peel the ginger and mince it.
- Peel the garlic and mince it.
- Now it’s time to start cooking. Heat a wok on high and when it is hot add just 1 tbsp of the peanut oil and let it get hot. Then add the chicken and cook it until it browns on all sides, about 5 to 7 minutes. Then remove it from the wok and set it aside on a plate.
- Next add another tablespoon of the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the onions and sprinkle them with ½ teaspoon of the salt and cook them for about 2 minutes, or until they are soft and just slightly starting to brown.
- Then add the ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Next add the garlic and stir-fry for just 15 seconds. Be careful here because garlic tends to burn quickly, and burnt garlic will ruin the dish.
- Then add the remaining tablespoon of oil and the broccoli. Sprinkle everything with the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Then return the chicken to the wok and add the soy sauce. Stir until the soy sauce is mixed in thoroughly, about 1 minute. Then remove it from the heat and serve. This makes 3 to 4 servings of ginger chicken with broccoli and is great served with a side of white steamed rice, enjoy.