We take a look at some of the events that occurred on March 19th.
Today In …
- The first bank robbery in the U.S. took place today!
- Time zones and Daylights Savings Time were established by Congress.
- The legendary “Amos & Andy” show debuted on radio.
- The Sydney Harbour Bridge opened in Australia.
Sharing A Birthday Today…
who starred as a Bond girl in the film “Dr. No” and also appeared in “Clash of the Titans” was born in 1936.
who starred on TV’s “Clueless” and in the film “Snakes on a Plane” was born in 1976.
who has starred in “Fatal Attraction”, “101 Dalmations” and “Air Force One” was born in 1947.
the legendary lawman of the Old West was born in 1848.
the famed explorer was born in 1813.
who starred in “Braveheart” and “The Phantom” was born in 1928.
author of “The Human Stain” was born in 1933.
who was convicted of assassinating Robert F. Kennedy was born in 1944.
the former Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court was born in 1891.
who stars on TV’s “Medium” and also appeared in the films “Pushing Tin” and the 2004 version of “Dawn of the Dead” was born in 1964.
who has starred on TV’s “Moonlighting” as well as the hit films “Die Hard”, “The Sixth Sense” and “The Whole Nine Yards” was born in 1955.
a member of the legendary B-52s was born in 1953.
We Said Goodbye To…
Edgar Rice Burroughs
the author and creator of Tarzan passed away in 1950 at the age of 74.
John De Lorean
innovator and creator of the auto world’s DeLorean passed away in 2005 at the age of 80.
Top Of The Charts On This Day In…
- On The Country Charts – “Southern Nights” by Glen Campbell
- On The Country Charts – “Nothin’ To Lose” by Josh Gracin
TV Moments In…
- The finale episode of “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” aired.
- C-Span began broadcasting the activities in the House of Representatives.
- The comedy “Kate & Allie” starring Jane Curtin and Susan Saint James premiered on CBS.
In Print In…
- “The Caine Mutiny” by Herman Wouk was first published.
Don’t forget about the Today In History Newsletter