We take a look at some of the events that occurred on March 22nd.
Today In …
- The Jamestown Massacre occurred resulting in the deaths of almost 350 settlers.
- Anne Hutchinson was expelled from the Massachusetts Bay Colony for her religious convictions.
- The Stamp Act was passed by the British Parliament.
- President Roosevelt signed the act into law making the sale of alcohol legal.
Sharing A Birthday Today…
who sings “On Broadway” was born in 1943.
the TV journalist/reporter was born in 1948.
the famed sports commentator was born in 1952.
who appeared in “Airport” and on TV’s “Wagon Train” was born in 1917.
the politician from Utah was born in 1934.
the famed author of “Hondo” and “The Sacketts” was born in 1908.
the Oscar winning actor of “A Streetcar Named Desire” and “On the Waterfront” was born in 1912.
the famous French mime was born in 1923.
a member of the famous Marx Brothers who starred in “Animal Crackers” was born in 1887.
who starred in “Full Metal Jacket” and “Any Given Sunday” was born in 1959.
who starred in “Chocolat” and on TV’s “Alias” was born in 1955.
the televangelist with the “700 Club” was born in 1930.
the actor best known as Captain Kirk from the “Star Trek” TV show and movies as well as “T.J. Hooker” and “Boston Legal” was born in 1931.
Andrew Lloyd Webber
the composer of the memorable favorites “Phantom of the Opera” and “Cats” was born in 1948.
the voice behind “I Don’t Believe in If Anymore” was born in 1936.
the Oscar winning actress of “Walk the Line” and the comedy “Legally Blonde” was born in 1976. (See my Walk the Line
We Said Goodbye To…
the Naval officer and War of 1812 hero was killed in a duel in 1820 at the age of 41.
Sonora Smart Dodd
who founded Father’s Day passed away in 1978 at the age of 96.
a.k.a. Jiggs, the mascot dog of the Little Rascals passed away in 1938 at the age of 9.
one half of the creative team Hanna Barbera passed away in 2001 at the age of 90.
who starred in “Dracula’s Daughter” passed away in 1991 at the age of 82.
who created “Woody Woodpecker” passed away in 1994 at the age of 93.
the actor who appeared on TV’s “Suddenly Susan” passed away in 1999 at the age of 29.
Top Of The Charts On This Day In…
- “My Eyes Adored You” by Frankie Valli
- “Another Brick in the Wall” by Pink Floyd
- On The Country Charts – “Why Don’t You Spend the Night” by Ronnie Milsap
- “These Dreams” by Heart
Musical Moments In…
- Music icon Hank Williams Jr. made his stage debut in Swainsboro, GA. He was 8 years old at the time.
- The Beatles’ first album “Please Please Me” was released.
Memorable Sports Moments In…
- The first quest for the Stanley Cup began.
Don’t forget about the Today In History Newsletter