This chocolate cake recipe is so delicious that your friends and family won’t even suspect it is made with healthy ingredients. The health benefits of each ingredient is listed below just in case those who partake in your cake are non-believers. The best benefit of this cake is the joy and satisfaction you will feel in eating this tasty treat and sharing it with your loved ones.
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Farenheit and prepare a nine-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
Second, whisk the following dry ingredients together in a bowl:
- 1/2 cup of organic granulated sugar - (The healthiest form of sugar is from natural sources like fruit, yet the organic version of sugar is not processed with chemicals so that does help.)
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened organic cocoa powder - (Cocoa is made up of flavonoids, which are plant pigments that are antioxidants helping to boost immunity and lower blood pressure.)
- 3/4 cup of organic whole-wheat pastry flower - (Whole grains are a great source of Vitamin E, iron and fiber, which all help to lower blood pressure, cholesterol and risk for heart disease.)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda - (Baking soda aids in digestion.)
- 1/4 teaspoon iodized salt - (Iodized salt can improve brain functioning, and assist with thyroid problems.)
Third, add the following wet ingredients to the dry mix you just whisked:
- 2 tablespoons of organic applesauce - (Here is your healthier sugar option, and apples can help with asthma symptoms, improve bone density and more.)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract - (Vanilla is a natural stress reducer, which is always helpful.)
- 1 large and beaten egg - (Eggs are a high quality protein with essential amino acids that can help with heart disease, stroke and healthier hair and nails.)
- 1/2 cup of nonfat buttermilk - (Live active cultures help to fight bacteria and aid digestion.)
Fourth, pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake the cake for about 30-35 minutes. Then, stick a thin knife or fork in it to test that it comes out clean, and cool the cake.
Fifth, this part so it is optional. If you choose to not make the icing for the cake, then simply eat the cake you made - it is delicious! If you choose to make the icing:
Mix one bag, 12 ounces, of semi-sweet chocolate chips and a 1/2 stick of unsalted butter in a double boiler to melt until warm and smooth.
(Although there are health benefits to the chocolate in the icing as mentioned earlier, the benefits from butter are mainly from raw butter made from grass-fed cows because it contains vitamins such as A, D and E, and Conjugated Linoleic Acid which can help to protect against cancer.)
Lastly, pour this tasty icing on the cake and smooth it out evenly over the cake. Let it cool and then enjoy the natural and healthy benefits of your chocolate cake!