We take a look at some of the events that occurred on March 25th.
Today In …
- Constantine became Pope.
- Today was the day that Lord Baltimore and other settlers arrived in the area we now know as Maryland.
- The Triangle Shirtwaist Fire occurred today which resulted in the deaths of 146 people. The incident would cause new laws to be enacted regarding working conditions.
- The Concorde’s maiden flight occurred today.
Sharing A Birthday Today…
the singer/actor who was the voice behind the song “Joy to the World” and star of “We’re No Angels” was born in 1938.
who starred in the movie “Die Hard” and on TV’s “The Division” was born in 1948.
the Tony Award winning actor and star of “Inherit the Wind” as well as father of Ed Begley Jr. was born in 1901.
sports announcer/commentator was born in 1918.
from TV’s “Desperate Housewives” was born in 1962.
who founded the renowned Ford Modeling Agency was born in 1922.
the legendary songstress behind “Respect” and “Chain of Fools” was born in 1942.
Paul Michael Glaser
best known as Starsky from TV’s “Starsky & Hutch” was born in 1943.
the front man for the Jeff Healy Band was born in 1966.
the legendary artist behind such songs as “Candle in the Wind” and “Rocket Man” was born in 1947.
who starred in “The Bad Seed” was born in 1921.
singer and “American Idol” alumni was born in 1984.
Sarah Jessica Parker
star of TV’s “Sex and the City” and the films “Failure to Launch” and “The Family Stone” was born in 1965.
best known for murdering Lee Harvey Oswald was born in 1911.
the author/activist was born in 1934.
We Said Goodbye To…
the creator of such notable TV shows as “The Beverly Hillbillies”, “Green Acres” and “Petticoat Junction” passed away in 2005 at the age of 93.
passed away in 1916 at an unknown age. He was reportedly the last Yahi Indian.
the Broadway actress who also appeared on TV’s “227” and “Sanford and Son” passed away in 2000 at the age of 90.
the singer/songwriter and co-host of the long running TV show “Hee Haw” passed away in 2006 at the age of 76.
Cal Ripken Sr.
baseball player, coach and father of Cal Ripken Jr. passed away in 1999 at the age of 63.
bass player for the rock band Three Dog Night passed away in 2002 at the age of 46.
best known for her role as the mother of Rhoda on TV’s “Rhoda” passed away in 1992 at the age of 69.
Top Of The Charts On This Day In…
- “Happy Together” by the Turtles
- “A Horse With No Name” by America
Movie Moments In...
- “Tarzan the Ape Man” starring Johnny Weissmuller premiered in New York.
- “Blackboard Jungle” starring Glenn Ford opened.
Memorable Sports Moments In…
- The first modern Olympics were held in Athens, Greece.
- Wayne Gretzky became the first NHL hockey player to score two hundred points in a single season.
Don’t forget about the Today In History Newsletter