- Vs. 3 - You shall have no other gods before Me.
- Vs. 4 - You shall not make for yourself an idol.
We allow many things to become gods to us. Money, fame, work, pleasure, appearance when we concentrate too much on them for personal identity. No one sets out with the intention of worshipping these things but the amount of time we spend on them shows that we will start to depend on them for personal identity and security.
- Vs. 7 - You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
Godís name is special because it carries His personal identity. Using it frivolously or in a curse as is common today shows that we fail to realize how serious He is. The way we use His name shows how we really feel about Him.
- Vs. 8 - Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
God commanded a Sabbath because we need to spend unhurried time in worship and rest each week. Observing a day of rest and worship in this fast-paced world demonstrates how important God is to us as well as refreshing our spirits.
- Vs.12 - Honor your father and mother that you may long in the land your God is giving you.
Parents have a special place in Godís sight. Even those who donít get along with their parents are commanded to be courteous and respectful.
- Vs. 13 - You shall not murder.
Matthew 5:22 says that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment.
- Vs. 14 - You shall not commit adultery.
In Matthew 5:28 Jesus says anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
- Vs. 15 - You shall not steal.
- Vs. 16 - You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
We give false testimony by leaving something out of a story, telling a half-truth, twisting the facts or inventing a falsehood.
Matthew 12:36 says that, on judgment day, everyone will have to give account for every careless word they have spoken.
- Vs. 17 - You shall not covet your neighborís house,Ö wife,Ö manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey or anything that belongs to your neighbor.
To covet is to wish to have the possessions of another. It includes resenting the fact that others have what you donít. This shows lack of gratefulness for what God has supplied for you.