To see a video of these instructions click here.
1 cup whole shelled walnuts
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp sugar
1 lb pre cleaned raw shrimp (deveined, shelled and tails removed)
2 to 3 cups peanut oil (for frying)
3 tbsp mayonnaise (Helmans)
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
½ tbsp lemon juice
1 cup flour
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
1 cup water
- Place the butter in a small sauce pan and heat it on medium low until it melts.
- Once the butter melts, add the walnuts and stir until they are completely coated with the butter.
- Once they are coated with the butter turn the heat up to high and cook them for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Turn the heat back down to medium and sprinkle in the sugar while stirring to coat each walnut. Then cook them for another 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- After 2 minutes, turn off the heat and set the walnuts aside to cool.
- In a large cup mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and then set this mixture aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the batter.
- Once the batter is thoroughly mixed, add the shrimp and stir to coat each piece. Leave the shrimp in the batter until they are ready to go into the hot oil.
- Heat the oil on high. Once the oil is hot add the shrimp one at a time directly from the batter into the hot oil. Make sure to let the excess batter drip off before placing it into the oil. Cook about 8 to 10 shrimp at a time so that the wok is not overcrowded.
- Cook them for about 2 to 3 minutes or until they become a light golden brown. Then remove them with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Continue cooking the remaining shrimp in batches.
- Once all of the shrimp are cooked, toss them in a bowl with the sauce and the walnuts. Then they are ready to serve. Makes about 3 servings.