We take a look at some of the events that occurred on April 12th.
Today In …
- The Union Jack became the official flag of Britain.
- The American Civil War officially began when troops clashed at Fort Sumter in Charleston, South Carolina.
- Actor/entertainer Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle was acquitted of murdering Virginia Rappe. His career would never recover from the scandal.
- Dr. Jonas Salk’s polio vaccine was deemed safe and effective.
- The first space shuttle, Colombia, launched today!
- Sonny Bono was elected the Mayor of Palm Springs, California.
- The first mass mailing of Spam on the internet occurred today. We’ve been cleaning out our email inboxes ever since!
Sharing A Birthday Today…
the bass player for the rock band Coldplay was born in 1978.
the actor/singer from TV’s “The Partridge Family” was born in 1950.
the author of “The Hunt for Red October”, “Patriot Games” and “Clear and Present Danger” was born in 1947.
the renowned Senator who was known as the Great Compromiser was born in 1777.
who starred in the films “Romeo & Juliet”, “Shopgirl” and on TV’s “My So Called Life” was born in 1979.
from TV’s “Beverly Hills 90210” and “Charmed” was born in 1971.
who starred in “The Godfather Part III” and “Ocean’s 11” and its sequels was born in 1956.
the singer of such songs as “When I Call Your Name” and “Pocket Full of Gold” was born in 1957.
the composer of such notable songs as “Groove is in the Heart” and “Rockit” was born in 1940.
the front man for the rock band Steppenwolf was born in 1944.
best known as Jack Arnold on TV’s “The Wonder Years” was born in 1947.
the famed late night TV host was born in 1947.
who starred in “Tess of the Storm Country” was born in 1887.
who appeared in the films “Kiss Me Kate”, “Stage Door” and “Mame” was born in 1923.
from TV’s “Days of Our Lives” and “Dynasty” was born in 1947.
best known for his work on TV’s “Married With Children” and “Dragnet” was born in 1946.
one half of the musical duo The Indigo Girls was born in 1964.
Dr. Peter Safer
the physician who pioneered CPR and the ICU was born in 1924.
the musician known for his ukulele and for the song “Tiptoe Through the Tulips” was born in 1932.
We Said Goodbye To…
the famed songstress passed away in 1975 at the age of 68.
passed away in 2001 at the age of 79. Ball was the person who invented the logo known worldwide as the smiley face!
one of the founders of the American Red Cross passed away in 1912 at the age of 90.
the former boxing heavyweight champion passed away in 1981 at the age of 66.
of music’s Mills Brothers passed away in 1989 at the age of 77.
Sugar Ray Robinson
the boxing champion passed away in 1989 at the age of 68.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
the 32nd President of the United States passed away in 1945 at the age of 63.
the country music musician/entertainer passed away in 1999 at the age of 67.
Top Of The Charts On This Day In…
- “Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In” by the 5th Dimension
- “Philadelphia Freedom” by Elton John
- On The Country Charts – “She & I” by Alabama
Musical Moments In…
- “Rock Around the Clock” was recorded by Bill Haley and the Comets.
- The near fatal car crash of Jan & Dean’s Jan Berry happened today.
Don’t forget about the Today In History Newsletter