The key to a perfect garlic and olive oil pasta is to gently sauté for about a minute in the olive oil to release its flavor and then quickly remove and discard it before it starts browning. For a nice extra touch of flavor, I mince a couple of extra garlic cloves with some Italian parsley and sprinkle the mix on top of each dish before serving.
Ingredients and Instructions (serves 4-6):
- 1 pound of spaghetti
- 1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon of parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of salted boiling water.
- Meanwhile mix the minced garlic and the chopped Italian parsley together and set aside for later.
- Put the olive oil and the halved garlic cloves in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When the garlic begins to change color remove it and discard it, then add the red pepper flakes.
- Stir well for a few seconds, then remove the pan from the heat.
- When the pasta is cooked al dente, return the skillet to a low heat.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet.
- Toss until the pasta is well coated with the garlic sauce.
- Serve at once topping each dish with freshly grated Parmigiano cheese and a pinch of the minced garlic and parsley mix.
Cinzia Aversa, 2013