Each year, Fatherís Day rolls around after Mother Day, no big surprise there. This year, though, how about doing something creative and fun for your Dad on his special day?
Holidays, like Fatherís Day, can give you a wonderful creative jump-start to other projects, get your writing back on track, or just give you some needed rest, along with just plain fun. Writing for Fatherís Day does not need to be pressure oriented. Instead, let go of your reins, let your hair fly in the summer breeze, and allow your creativity take you away.
Here are a few ideas to help you jumpstart your Fatherís Day writing. But donít just follow one of these, take some time to create your own. Let these ideas percolate inside of your mind, and allow your own genius to flourish. (Yes, every writer has a ďgeniusĒ inside of them. The trick is to find it and let it run free).
Okay, here goes. After you spend some time brainstorming your own ideas, come to the forum and share them with me and others, or, share some of your wonderful past Fatherís Day writing events with us. Either way, this may prove to be the most fun and inspirational Fatherís Day you have enjoyed yet.
1. An old standby is to write a poem to dear old dad. Now this may sound a bit old and tried, but take a few minutes to loosen your imagination and come up with a unique twist. For example, you can print your poem on a tie, or put it inside of a balloon. I know you can create something wonderful and fun for yourself and your dad. Just let yourself go and try.
2. Wrapping paper. Do you remember the fad a number of years ago, (Iím dating myself now), where people used brown paper bags to wrap gifts with? Well, what an opportune moment to let your writing shine. Create a memento from a childhood memory, and write and/or draw it on the paper bag and seal your best gift for dad inside.
3. Social media is all the rage today. Why not create a scavenger hunt for your dear father, and post different clues and directions on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter? Why use tired old notes to have him hunt for his gift when you can add fun using social media?
4. Enjoy and share your past memories together. Pull together pictures and stories from your childhood. Make sure to have funny ones, heartfelt ones, as well as unusual happenings you both shared. Now, put your imagination into high gear, and think of a fun and different way to present these memories to dad. For example, how about stuffing them into a store bought or self-made piŮata? Donít forget to add his favorite treats.
5. Write a true testimonial story of how your Dad has influenced your life. Donít use the tried and true: ďYou were always there.Ē Stretch your writing muscles and really think, go deep down into your secret places and find how he truly has helped you shape your life and become exactly who you are today.
Okay, now itís your turn. Take some of these ideas and run with them. Use your creative juices to find new and exciting ways to write to your dad.
Enjoy the project, have fun, and as always, happy writing!
Bluedolphin Crow is the writer for BellaOnline's Nonfiction Writing Site. Why not circle her on Google+?