3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
¼ piece fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic
4 green onions
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp peanut oil
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp sherry
1 egg white
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp stir fry oil
1 ½ tsp chili paste
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp sherry
2 tbsp soy sauce
- Cut all the fat off of the chicken and cut it into thin strips about 2 inches long. Place them in a bowl to be marinated.
- The marinade works best when applied in the following steps. First sprinkle on the salt, then add the sherry and stir thoroughly.
- Next add the egg white and gently stir to coat each piece. Be careful not to “froth” the egg or it will make the chicken hard when it is cooked.
- Sprinkle on the cornstarch, coating each piece. Then add the oil, stir, and let the strips marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- While the chicken marinates prepare the other ingredients. Cut the skin off of the ginger and then mince it into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- Smash the garlic cloves with the side of a knife. Peel them and cut off their ends. Then mince them into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- Rinse the green onions under cold water and dry them with paper towels. Cut off the bases and about an inch or so of the green tops and discard. Then slice the remaining stalks into small pieces on a diagonal and set them aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water to dissolve and set it aside.
- In another large cup, thoroughly mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce and set it aside.
- Once the chicken has marinated, cook it following the boiling method of the velveting process. To do this, bring a pot of water plus one tablespoon of the peanut oil to boil.
- Once the water boils slowly add the meat to the pot and cook it for just one minute. Then remove it with a slotted spoon, making sure to drain it thoroughly and to not pick up any of the loose egg that may have floated up to the top of the pot. Place the meat in a bowl or on a plate and set it aside. You may place it on a paper towel to soak up the remaining water.
- In a non stick pot or wok heat the remaining tablespoon of peanut oil on high. Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry for just 1 minute.
- Add the chicken and stir fry for 1 more minute. Then add the sauce and the green onion and stir until slightly thick.
- Serve over white or fried rice. Makes 3 servings.