16oz thin rice stick noodles
1½ tbsp dark sesame oil
4 tbsp canola oil
8oz medium pre cooked frozen shrimp
8oz boneless skinless chicken breast
1/8 tsp salt
1 clove garlic
2 plum tomatoes, diced
6 green onions
5 fresh cilantro stems
1 ½ cups coleslaw mix
1 tsp sesame oil
1/3 cup fried onions
2 tbsp white vinegar
¼ cup curry powder
1 tbsp turmeric
¼ cup ketchup
1 cup lite soy sauce
1 cup mushroom oyster sauce
1½ tbsp Sriracha sauce
- Soak the noodles in hot water until soft, about 15 minutes. Then drain them in a colander, place them in a bowl and toss them with the sesame oil and just 1 tablespoon of the canola oil. Then set them aside.
- While the noodles soak, prepare the sauce. In a large bowl mix together the vinegar, curry, and turmeric until it becomes a thick paste.
- Then add the ketchup, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and Sriracha sauce. Mix everything together thoroughly and set the sauce aside.
- Defrost the shrimp by soaking them in warm water for about 10 minutes. Then drain them thoroughly and set them aside.
- Remove the fat from the chicken and slice it into thin inch long strips. Lightly sprinkle these strips with salt and set them aside.
- Lightly smash the garlic with the side of a knife, peel it, mince it into tiny pieces, and then set them aside.
- Rinse and dry the tomatoes, chop them into ¼ inch pieces and set them aside.
- Rinse the green onions under cold water and dry them with paper towels. Chop off the white bulbs and about an inch from the top of the stalks. Then cut the remaining stalks into ¼ inch pieces on a diagonal and set them aside.
- Rinse the cilantro under cold water and dry it thoroughly. Then gather the stems together and chop it into small pieces and set them aside.
- Heat a large non stick pot or wok on high. Add 1 tablespoon of the remaining canola oil. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and stir fry it for 1 minute. Then add the chicken and stir fry for about 3 minutes, or just until it is cooked through. Remove it from the wok and set it aside.
- Without wiping it out, return the wok to the stove and heat it on high. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of canola oil. Once the oil is hot, add the coleslaw mixture and stir fry it for about 2 minutes or until slightly soft.
- Then return the chicken to the wok and add the shrimp, noodles, tomatoes and sauce mixture. Stir fry everything for about 3 minutes or until it is heated through.
- Remove the noodles from the heat and add the scallions and cilantro. Mix them in thoroughly and then divide the noodles into 4 bowls. Top each bowl with the fried onions and serve. Makes 4 servings.