These are quick and light appetizers, perfect for a summer day.
- 3 large heads of garlic
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs water
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 loaf of crusty bread
- 12 oz chevré goat cheese
- 2 Tbs fresh basil
- Remove the paper out skin from the heads of garlic, leaving the cloves connected to the head. With a knife, cut a thin sliver from the top of each garlic head, exposing the cloves.
- Coat the tops of the garlic heads with olive oil.
- Place the garlic heads, cut sides up, on a large sheet of aluminum foil. Sprinkle 1 Tbs of water over the garlic heads. Fold the foil over the garlic, sealing it tightly.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until the garlic is soft.
- Remove from the oven and refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the garlic pulp by squeezing the cloves. Place them in a food processor.
- Add the chevré cheese. Process it until smooth.
- Add the tomatoes and basil leaves. Pulse until it is blended through the garlic cheese mixture.
- Slice the bread into 1/2 inch slices. Lay the slices flat on a cookie tray and toast them gently under the broiler.
- Spread each slice with the roast garlic cheese spread.
- Garnishes of sliced olives or fresh herbs add the to texture and color.
Note: As an easy party spread, you can serve this in a bowl with breads or crackers.