The first time you make this recipe make it with turkey thighs- it takes 8 hours in the crock pot but you can cook it on high to speed up the cook time.
This is also a great recipe to use up some of your leftover turkey. But it is good all year round and you can make it with just a couple of turkey thighs available from the grocery meat department.
This recipe gives you the taste of a fancy Mexican dinner without the high price tag that accompanies an evening eating out.
You will love this tasty casserole; it has lots of cheese, onions and sour cream and is then topped with chopped green onions and corn chips. Yum!
This is sure to become a new comfort food at your house. Adjust the enchilada sauce depending on how hot and spicy your family likes it.
Gather your ingredients:
• 4 turkey thighs or 3-4 cups diced turkey
• 1 pack enchilada sauce mix
• 6 ounce tomato paste
• 1/4 cup water
• 4 ounce Monterey Jack cheese, grated
• 1/3 cup low fat yogurt or sour cream
• 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
• 1 1/2 cup corn chips
Follow these quick and simple steps:
1. If you are using turkey thighs use a sharp knife to cut the thighs in half and remove and bones and the skin- discard them. (If using left-over turkey dice into pieces 1-1/2”.)
2. Put the turkey in the slow cooker.
3. In a medium bowl, use a wooden spoon and mix the tomato paste, water and enchilada sauce mix.
4. This mixture will be thick- that is o.k.
5. Spread the enchilada mixture on the thighs.
6. Put the lid on the slow-cooker.
7. Turn it on to LOW and cook for 7-8 hours until the turkey is tender. (If using leftover turkey- cook on low for 3-4 hours till heated through.)
8. Now turn the slow cooker on to HIGH. Add the cheese and stir until melted.
Spoon everything from the slow cooker into a nice shallow casserole dish.
Spoon some sour cream or yogurt over turkey.
Sprinkle with onions.
Top with corn chips.
Round out the rest of the meal with some yummy cornbread, refried beans, and homemade Pico de Gallo.
Pico de Gallo
Gather these ingredients:
• 2 medium tomatoes
• 1 small white onion
• 3 Tbsp chopped pickled jalapeño peppers (adjust the amount depending on your personal preference for ‘heat’)
• 2 Tb. chopped fresh cilantro
• Juice of ½ lime , if you don’t have fresh limes you can use 2 Tbsp. Lime juice
• 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
• 2 Tbsp. olive oil
• ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
• ¼ tsp. garlic powder
• ½ tsp. salt
Follow these steps:
1. Plan ahead as this needs to stand in the fridge for 2-3 hours for the flavors to blend together.
2. Chop the tomatoes, onions, peppers, and cilantro
3. Use a large bowl and mix everything together.
4. Stir about every 30 minutes to mix the flavors.