An Italian Stromboli can be filled with just about anything you like. Its kind of like a stuffed pizza. My Deli Italian Ham & Cheese Stromboli Recipe incorporates thinly sliced Italian deli meats and two cheeses.
My Easy Pizza Dough recipe is fail-proof. A little mixing is all it takes and then you leave it alone for an hour or so to rise. If you arent into making the dough - frozen or fresh pizza dough will work just as well in the finished result. Follow the package directions for defrosting or handling though before continuing with the recipe.
Easy Pizza Dough
3 cups bread flour (leveled off with a knife), plus a little extra for dusting
1 tsp. table salt
1 1/3 cups water (you may not use it all)
1 packet Fleischman's dried yeast or instant yeast
1 tbsp. maple syrup or honey
2 tbsp. olive oil
1. To begin, dissolve the yeast packet into 1 cup of warm water (110 - 115 degrees). Just put your thermometer in the water without it touching the bottom or sides of the cup. If you are using a regular dried yeast packet (not instant) then use this method. If you have an instant yeast packet you can just add this to the flour. There is no need to dissolve it. It works like magic and so you can skip step 1. The instant yeast packets measure 1 oz.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, instant yeast packet (if using), and mix together.
3. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the dissolved yeast and the maple syrup or honey. With a knife or fork, gently mix it around until it starts to come together. Then, go in with your hand and bring the dough together. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead the dough for no more than 5 minutes. The less you mess, the better the dough will be. If it seems too dry and still crumbly, just keep adding a few sprinkles of water until it comes together. If it's too wet, then dust a little more flour on the dough. Shape the dough into a disc.
4. In a large, clean bowl add the olive oil and coat the dough disc all over. Cover with a kitchen towel and leave it in a warm spot, free from drafts. Let the dough rise until doubled in size, approximately 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
5. Punch down the dough and divide it into equal portions if you want to make multiple Stromboli. Roll into a rectangle as thin as you can turning the dough a quarter turn as you roll. Do not turn it over. Just roll and turn, roll and turn in one direction (forward), not back and forth.
1 lb. prepared pizza dough
6 slices deli mozzarella cheese
3 slices deli sharp provolone cheese
6 slices deli genoa salami
8 slices hot cappicola
2 oz. deli ham
Ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tbsp. chopped pepperoncini
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 beaten egg with 1 tbsp. water
Olive oil for brushing the dough
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. for at least 20 minutes.
Assembling the Stromboli
1. Roll out the dough on a lightly-floured surface into a rectangle - approximately 16 inches x 8 inches (this doesn't have to be exact.)
2. Working with the longest edge in front of you, layer the ingredients starting with the mozzarella, 3 slices each of the cappicola, salami and half of the ham. Sprinkle the pepper and red pepper flakes over the meats. Next, place the provolone cheese and finish with layering the rest of the meats. Finish with the remaining slices of mozzarella. Only layer on 2/3 of the dough surface, leaving a 2 inch edge of plain dough and the same down the sides.
4. Brush the bare edges with the egg and then fold the short edges in first, one inch at a time, brushing again with egg after the first fold.
5. Roll the Stromboli, jelly-roll style with floured hands as tight as you can without tearing the dough. Place some of the cornmeal on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush the dough with the olive oil. Gently roll the Stromboli in the cornmeal.
6. Lastly, make three 1/2 inch slits at even intervals on top of the dough. This will allow steam to escape. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes until golden brown on a foil or parchment lined shallow baking sheet. Remove the Stromboli from the oven and let it cool for approximately 5 minutes before slicing it. This Stromboli is great served with a good marinara sauce for dipping. Enjoy!