The fall or autumnal equinox marks equal hours of light and darkness, but particularly it is a time for appreciating and giving thanks for the fruits of our gardens and labors in life - at home, school or work.
Here is a plan for an equinox celebration for a group of people to hold outdoors - at the beach, park, in the mountains, or another space big enough wherever you live.
The Celebration Ceremony
1. A central focal point is established. It could be a bon fire or table of offerings from the summerís harvest of fruits, flowers or vegetables placed in the center of a large circle.
2. To begin, everyone gathers round the central focal point in a circle and holds hands.
3. The leader or group recite a prayer for world peace. Here is one that I wrote:
Interfaith Prayer for Peace
Lord, we each and everyone
See You shining as a sun.
Radiant bright You are our light
Keep us sheltered in Thy sight.
In every culture, language, clime
We feel Your presence in our time.
We look to You and in our way
Call out our need and daily pray.
With peace our present beck and call
Lord, keep us centered, one and all.
And as we try with all our might
Keep us striving toward the light.
May Your peace
Spread through all lands
Standing together hand in hand.
4. After the prayer follows a minute of silence for contemplation on the meaning of the equinox as a point in time signaling spiritual balance.
5. The silence flows into uplifting group singing or peace chants. If the group knows a simple circle dance that could come next.
6. At the end of singing and dancing everyone sits down in place for a few minutes of silent meditation on the theme of thankfulness for the seasonís harvest.
7. Rounding out the ceremony, all rise, join hands and sing an uplifting song for world peace and harmony.
Autumn Equinox and Harvest Meditation
I invite you to join me in a daily world peace cyber group meditation. Click the article here to read about it.
Meditation Lessons for Teens and Adults
More than 70 offerings, from guided meditation techniques to on-the-go stress relief and relationship meditations interspersed with verse, and a section of special occasion prayers. 114 pages. PDF Ebook | EPUB | Paperback | Mac Users | B&N NOOK eBook | Kindle
Meditation for All Kids
Sitting, walking, dance and group circle meditations, along with positive affirmations, verses and benefits of meditation for kids of all ages and abilities in a 100 page book with illustrations. PDF Ebook | EPUB | Paperback | Mac Users | B&N NOOK eBook | Kindle
Article by Susan Helene Kramer
NEWSLETTER: Sign up below or in the right-hand column for our meditation site newsletter. It only requires your email address and is never given out or sold to anyone.