Walnuts are especially good in this candy, but pecans or hazelnuts are also delicious and can be substituted. A little pumpkin pie spice can also be added for a cinnamon spice flavor.
48 3/4-1 squares
4 cups sugar
1 cup half and half or evaporated milk
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 pinch salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups chopped walnuts
- Butter or spray with non-stick spray a 9 x 9 square pan or 9 x 9"shallow baking dish.
- Spray a mixing bowl with non-stick spray; set aside.
- Combine the sugar, half and half or evaporated milk, light corn syrup, pumpkin, and salt in a 4 quart heavy saucepan; whisk until smooth.
- Cover the pan, turn the heat to medium, and bring to a boil.
- When the mixture boils, uncover the pan, wash down the sides with water and a pastry brush, and let cook, without stirring, to just beyond the soft ball stage (238°).
- Remove from heat, pour into the prepared bowl (without scraping)
- Cut the butter in pieces and sprinkle on the top of the candy (don't stir in).
- Transfer the bowl to a cooling rack and let the candy sit until cool enough to touch the bottom of the bowl with your hand(about 140°).
- When cool, add the vanilla and walnuts; beat for a minute or two until the fudge has lost its gloss, and pour into the prepared 9 x 9 inch pan.
- Cut into squares.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 120 Calories from Fat 40
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 33% Protein 3% Carb. 64%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 4 mg
Sodium 60 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 24% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 1%