The five spice powder and rice wine vinegar are two wonderful Chinese ingredients that add both a sweet and sour flavor to the chicken salad. The cucumber adds an additional fresh flavor and crunch for texture. This is a unique and fun way to spice up a batch of simple plain chicken salad. Try this delicious recipe at your next gathering and let me know how it went over in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
2 large cucumbers
24 oz canned white meat chicken
3 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tsp 5 spice powder
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp honey
2 to 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- Rinse and dry the cucumbers. Then cut off the ends and discard; and cut each one into slices about 1 inch thick. This should make about 10 slices in a large sized cucumber.
- Once the slices are cut, scoop out the center of one side of the slice, forming a cup. This is the most difficult part in this recipe. We want to form the cup without poking through to the other side. The easiest way to accomplish this is to take a knife and push the point into the center of the cucumber slice just about ¾ of the way through. Then slowly turn the cucumber around the knife in a circle, cutting the sides away. If this seems difficult you may want to try to use a small melon baller to cut the cup out. However, I have had much better luck with the knife.
- Once all the cups are formed, open and drain the can of chicken.
- Then mix together the chicken, mayonnaise, 5 spice powder, vinegar and honey. Hellmann’s mayonnaise is absolutely delicious in this recipe.
- Stir well, breaking up the larger pieces of meat. I like to use a fork and knife when making chicken salad or even tuna salad to shred the larger pieces.
- When the chicken salad is done, simply fill the cucumber cups and place them on a serving tray and garnish with just a bit of parsley.
- Makes 20. These can be made ahead of time and placed in the refrigerator.