1 lb frozen pre-cooked medium to large sized shrimp
4 cloves of garlic
4 green onions
15oz can of baby corn
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
¼ cup hot chicken broth
- Defrost the shrimp by soaking them in warm water for about 10 minutes. Drain them thoroughly and set them aside.
- With the side of a knife, lightly smash the pieces of garlic. Peel them and then dice them into tiny pieces.
- Rinse the green onions under cold running water and dry them. Cut off the base and about 1 inch from the top of each onion and discard. Peel off any wilted pieces as well. Then cut the remaining stalks into ½ inch pieces on a diagonal and set them aside.
- Peel the carrots and slice them into ¼ inch pieces on a diagonal. Set them aside.
- Open and drain the can of baby corn and set it aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with a little water just to dissolve and set it aside.
- Heat a large non stick pot or wok on high. Add the oil and let it get hot. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and stir fry the pieces for about 1 minute or until they are lightly brown.
- Add the carrots and stir fry them for about 2 minutes.
- Then add the shrimp, baby corn, soy sauce and oyster sauce and stir fry for just one more minute.
- Add the chicken broth and bring everything to a boil. Make sure that the chicken broth is hot before adding it to the pot. This will make sure that it comes to a boil quickly and prevent the shrimp from being overcooked.
- Once the pot boils, add the green onions and the cornstarch mixture and stir until thick.
- Serve over white rice. Makes 2 generous servings.