To determine if the Windows backup utility is available follow go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools. If the utility is installed there will be a backup option listed under System Tools. If the backup utility is not listed then follow the procedure below to install the software on your system.
Install Windows XP Backup Utility
- Insert the Windows XP CD into CD drive. If the CD does not start automatically, then open My Computer, right-click CD drive icon, and then select AutoPlay.
- Click on Perform Additional tasks in the Welcome to Microsoft Windows dialog box.
- Select Browse CD.
- Double-click on the VALUEADD folder | double-click MSFT folder | double-click NTBACKUP folder. This will open the \VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP folder.
- Double-click NTBACKUP to install backup software.
- When installation is complete click on Finish.
If the installation worked properly then the the Windows XP backup utility is now installed on your system and ready for you to start backing up.
The next step is to configure the software for either manually or automatic backups and to create you first backup. For information on how to use the backup utility for either automatic or manuals backups use the provided links at the bottom of this article.