8oz pre cleaned medium sized shrimp
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp white pepper
1 egg white
½ tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp peanut oil
½ medium green bell pepper
½ medium red bell pepper
¼ medium white sweet onion
2 green onions
1 clove of garlic
1 ½ tbsp sesame oil
¾ cup peanut oil
2 tbsp chili bean paste
¼ cup sherry
¾ cup chicken broth
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp chili paste
1 ½ tsp cornstarch
- Place the shrimp in a container that has a tight fitting lid. Marinate it in steps by first sprinkling in the salt and pepper so that they hit each piece. Then add the egg white and slowly stir to coat the shrimp without frothing the egg.
- Then with your finger tips sprinkle on the cornstarch, coating each piece. Add the oil, stir, and let them sit at room temp for 30 minutes.
- While the shrimp marinate, prepare the vegetables.
- Cut both of the bell peppers in half and remove the stems, seeds, and inner white meat. Rinse them under cold water and dry them with paper towels. Then dice just one half of each pepper into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- Peel the white sweet onion, cut it into quarters. Take just one quarter and dice it into tiny pieces and set them aside, reserving the remaining quarters for a future recipe.
- Rinse the green onions under cold water. Cut off the base and discard. Cut off the green stalks and save them for a future recipe. Dice the remaining white stalks into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- Smash the piece of garlic with the side of a knife. Peel and cut off the ends and discard them. Then mince it into tiny pieces, setting them aside.
- Fill a large pot with water, add the salt, and bring it to a boil. Add the noodles and cook them 7 to 8 minutes or just until they are “Al Dente.”
- Then drain them in a colander, running cold water over them to stop the cooking process. Once they are thoroughly drained, place them back in the pot, add the sesame oil and stir to coat the noodles. Set them aside.
- Once the shrimp have marinated, velvet them by heating a wok or large non stick pan on high. Add the oil, making sure that there is enough oil to cover all of shrimp. Make sure that the oil is hot before adding the shrimp. If a bread crumb sizzles once it touches the oil, then it is hot enough. Add the shrimp, making sure not to crowd the pan and cook them for just 30 seconds. Then remove them quickly with a slotted spoon, setting them on paper towels to rest.
- Remove all of the oil from the wok except for 1 teaspoon. Reserve the rest of the oil for future use. We will also use 1 more tablespoon of it in this recipe.
- In a large cup mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce, making sure that the cornstarch dissolves thoroughly.
- Heat the wok on high with the teaspoon of oil. Add the noodles and 1/3 of the sauce and stir fry for 1 minute or until hot. Place the noodles in a serving bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved peanut oil on high. Once hot, add all the onions, peppers, and garlic and stir fry them for 2 minutes.
- Then add the remaining sauce and let it simmer for 1 minute. Add the shrimp, toss to coat, and simmer for 1 more minute. Remove from heat and place the shrimp and the sauce on top of the noodles and serve. Makes 4 servings.