The table has been set. The perfectly cooked turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, green bean casserole and cranberry sauce along with marshmallow sweet potatoes have been set on your elegant table. Guests have gathered round and you’re ready to dig in. But wait a minute, do you really want to eat all this ‘forbidden food. Remember you do have a choice.
Yes, you can have all this but maybe with a twist. Turkey is on the yes list, its all the other accompaniments that do you in. There are two chances to splurge during the holiday, Thanksgiving and Christmas so you will be able to indulge.
To rethink Thanksgiving, try to low carb your favorites. How you say? There are numerous cookbooks out there to help along with your own creative cooking abilities.
You can also create new traditions at the holidays. Consider these:
· Green bean casserole- forgo the cream of mushroom soup. Find another solution like low fat sour cream or even yogurt.
· Sweet potato pie- Try a sugar substitute and don’t use the marshmallows.
· Green salad-introduce a fresh green salad to your dinner.
· Gravy-make a low carb gravy using soy flour
· Mashed potatoes- substitute cauliflower for the spuds and enjoy one of your missed favorites
· Rolls- a favorite you still can indulge in.
· Vegetable plate-instead of black olives, try a fresh vegetable plate of carrots and celery.
· Lasagna- try using the new low carb pasta, along with low fat ricotta and use a vegetable instead of meat.
With these options you will still enjoy a Thanksgiving feast but your blood glucose and body will thank you. You won’t feel bloated, leaden and lacking in energy the day after.
But with any food option it is your choice. You don’t have to do them all, just try one or two.
HAPPY TURKEY DAY!!!