Candles are popular, especially around holiday time. They are used in centerpieces; they are used for scent and setting a holiday or romantic mood. However, they can be a potential fire hazard anytime they are not used properly. Use candles with care and keep your family safe.
Here some tips to help you stay safe while you enjoy the beauty of candles.
_Never leave a burning candle unattended. Even if you only expect to be gone for 10 minutes.
_Keep lighted candles out of the reach of children and pets. The old saying, Like a moth to a flame holds true for children and pets.
_Keep burning candles away from combustible materials like drapes.
_Store candles in a cool, dark, dry place.
_Before using, light and extinguish the candles so they burn better.
_Avoid drafts to prevent rapid, uneven burning, excessive dripping or sparks.
_Keep candle wicks trimmed to one-quarter inch lengths.
_Candles refrigerated before use will burn more slowly and evenly.
_Extinguish candles when they get within 2 inches of bottom.
_To properly put out a candle flame, hold your finger in front of the flame and blow at it. The air will flow around the finger and extinguish the candle from both sides, preventing hot wax from splattering.
_To remove wax from fabrics, scrape off excess and run boiling water through the material.
_Remove wax from candle holders by running hot water over them. Place candles holders in pot while running hot water, you do not want the melted to get in your drain pipe.
If you are planning to use candles as part of your holiday decor, see the National Candle Association PR release of holiday candle trends.
According the the NCA statistics candle fires are very high, More than 15,000 residential fires are caused each year by the careless or inappropriate use of candles. Also according to NCA 38% candle fires start in the bedroom. You can find all of the figures and more information on candle safety in Related Links.