A scone is individual bread, often time compared to a biscuit. However, they are harder and denser than a typical biscuit. Scones originated in Scotland and remain popular there as well as in Ireland and England. This bread can either be sweet or savory. Those looking to spice up their scones can add cheese and herbs. If you are looking for some sweetness cinnamon and dried fruit can be added. Scones also vary by their shape; round, triangle, or rectangle. This recipe has cinnamon and chocolate and is a softer variation shaped into wedges. Scones are a great breakfast option or an afternoon treat with tea. They taste just as good with coffee and many times are enjoyed with butter or jams.
Cinnamon and Chocolate Chip Scone Recipe
2 1/2 cups flour
1 stick butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp. of baking powder
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Additional milk to brush onto dough and sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle on scones
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
3. Cut the butter into the flour.
There are a few methods to cut butter into flour. One method is to use a food processor on pulse to mix pieces of butter into the flour. If you do not have a food processor, you will need to cut cold butter into pieces and then combine with the flour.
4. Add the milk and stir until combined.
5. Add the egg and vanilla and stir until combined.
6. Shape the dough into two balls.
7. Flatten each ball into a disc.
8. Cut each disc into 6 wedges.
9. Brush each wedge with a little bit of milk.
10. Sprinkle with a combined mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
11. Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 12-15 minutes.
Scones can be stored in an air tight container for up to 2 days. If looking to keep them for longer store in the refrigerator.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!